Top 5 States in Cases, Deaths, Hospitalizations, ICU Patients & Positivity (11/19)
- Nationally, the positivity rate increased to 12.2% from 10.9% as of 11/12.
- More than 64% of all tests are now positive in ND (down from 68% on 11/12), and 52% in SD. IA was previously 52.4% on 11/12 and has declined to 49%
- Four states (IA, MO, NE, MT) 7-day positivity rates greater than 40%.
- Six states (ID, WI, NV, KS, IN, MN) 7-day positivity rates greater than 30%.
- Five states (UT, RI, PA, CO, AL) had 7-day positivity rates greater than 20%.
- In total, 45 states have 7-day positivity rates greater than 5% (+4 states since 11/12)
- Hospitalizations in the US surge to 80,698, up 20.3% since 11/12.
- 39 states have had increases of hospitalized patients of more than 10% since 11/12.
- 26 states have more than 1,000 hospitalized patients (+3 since 11/12)
- Four states saw decreases in the number of hospitalized patients (HI, ND, MT, VT).
- ICU Patients in the US increase to 15,573 up from 12,796 (+ 21.7%) since 11/12
- 28 states have seen the number of ICU patients increase by more than 10% since 11/12
- 29 states have more than 100 patients in ICU, (+2 states since 11/12)
- Five states (SD, RI, ID, ND, VT) saw decreases in the number of ICU patients since 11/12
Cases & Tests
- Total Cases = 57,223,140
- New Cases (7 day average) = 585,176
- 7 day average of new cases has been relatively flat for the last week
US Cases & Testing:
- Total Cases = 12,070,712
- New Cases (7 day average) = 169,813
- Percentage of New Global Cases = 29%
- Total Number of Tests = 174,984,245
- Percentage of positive tests (7 day average) = 12.2%
- Record high number of new cases (192,186)
- Record high 7 day average of new cases
- During the last 30 days, the 7 day average of new cases has increased from 58,203 to 169,813, an increase of 191.7%
- During the last 30 days, the 7 day average of the percentage of positive cases has increased from 6.6% to 12.2%, an increase of 84.8%
- Total Deaths = 1,364,868
- New Deaths (7 day average) = 9,450
- Record high new deaths on 11/18
- Record high 7 day average of new deaths
- 7 day average has been increasing rapidly since 10/15
- Total Deaths = 258,333
- New Deaths (7 day average) = 1,398
- Percentage of Global New Deaths = 14.8%
- New deaths exceed 2,000 for first time since May 7
- 7 day average of new deaths is increasing at a rapid rate
- 7 day average has increased 16.6% in 2 days
More than 1 million children in the U.S. have been infected with C19
- State-level reports are the best publicly available data on child C19 cases in the United States. The American Academy of Pediatrics and the Children’s Hospital Association are collaborating to collect and share all publicly available data from states on child C19 cases (definition of “child” case is based on varying age ranges reported across states; see report Appendix for details and links to all data sources).
- As of November 12th, over 1 million children have tested positive for C19 since the onset of the pandemic. The age distribution of reported C19 cases was provided on the health department websites of 49 states, New York City, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and Guam. Children represented 11.5% of all cases in states reporting cases by age.
- A smaller subset of states reported on hospitalizations and mortality by age; the available data indicated that C19-associated hospitalization and death is uncommon in children.
- The number of new child C19 cases reported this week, nearly 112,000, is by far the highest weekly increase since the pandemic began. At this time, it appears that severe illness due to C19 is rare among children. However, there is an urgent need to collect more data on longer-term impacts on children, including ways the virus may harm the long-term physical health of infected children, as well as its emotional and mental health effects.
Summary of Findings (data available as of 11/12/20):
Cumulative Number of Child C19 Cases
- 1,039,464 total child C19 cases reported, and children represented 11.5% (1,039,464/9,037,991) of all cases
- Overall rate: 1,381 cases per 100,000 children in the population
Change in Child C19 Cases
- 111,946 new child C19 cases were reported the past week from 11/5-11/12 (927,518 to 1,039,464)
- Over two weeks, 10/29-11/12, there was a 22% increase in child COVID-19 cases (185,829 new cases (853,635 to 1,039,464))
Testing (10 states reported)
- Children made up between 5.0%-17.4% of total state tests, and between 3.9%-18.8% of children tested were tested positive
Hospitalizations (23 states and NYC reported)
- Children were 1.2%-3.3% of total reported hospitalizations, and between 0.5%-6.1% of all child C19 cases resulted in hospitalization
Mortality (42 states and NYC reported)
- Children were 0.00%-0.21% of all C19 deaths, and 16 states reported zero child deaths
- In states reporting, 0.00%-0.15% of all child C19 cases resulted in death
- As of the 11/12/20 report, 133 children have died
- Report: Children and COVID-19: State Data Report